- "Chasers were also becoming increasingly irritated by the necessity of diving continually towards the ground to retrieve the Quaffle and so, shortly after the Quaffle's change of colour, the witch Daisy Pennifold had the idea of bewitching the Quaffle so that if dropped, it would fall slowly earthwards as though sinking through water, meaning that Chasers could grab it in mid-air."
- —Description of the spell's invention[src]
Arresto Momentum is the incantation of a charm that can be used by a witch or wizard to slow the movement of an object. It is taught in second year Charms class at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- Likely the combination of two words; the Anglo-French "arester", meaning "to bring to a stop", and the Latin "Momentum", meaning "the force or strength gained whilst moving". Literal translation: "bring its momentum to a stop".
Behind the scenesEdit
- An alternative spelling, "Arresto Momento", is given in the seventh video game and first LEGO game.
- In the fifth and seventh films, the spell's effect is to directly stop movement as opposed to merely slowing it.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (NDS version only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (First identified as Arresto Momentum)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (real) (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Portable versions only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Chapter 9 (Grim Defeat)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Quidditch Through the Ages (real) - Chapter 6 (Quidditch Since the Fourteenth Century)
- ↑ Subtitles of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 - NDS version
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
|Professors: Filius Flitwick|
|Textbooks: The Standard Book of Spells · Achievements in Charming · Quintessence: A Quest|
|Charmbook writers and charm developers: Miranda Goshawk · Scarpin · Felix Summerbee · Randolph Keitch · Basil Horton · Mnemone Radford · Elliot Smethwyck · Jarleth Hobart|
|Charms studied at Hogwarts: Levitation Charm · Fire-Making Charm · Softening Charm · Cleaning Charm · Cheering Charm · Glacius · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Silencing Charm · Mending Charm · Reductor Curse · Colour Change Charm · Growth Charm · Water-Making Spell · Aresto Momentum · Locomotion Charm|