Before 1995 (possibly)
Modesty Rabnott (possibly)
1995-1996 school yearEdit
In the 1995–1996 school year, Edward's portraits hid a secret passageway from the seventh-floor corridor to the fourth-floor. The password to this shortcut was "Three heads are better than one." By 1995, one of his portraits was covered in cobwebs and inaccessible. Edward had promised to give Harry Potter the password to his secret passage, only if he could clear the cobwebs off the portrait. As Harry did so, the portrait kept his promise.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Edward Rabnott's portrait seem to be a direct homage to Charles I, King of England, from Three Angles, by Anthony van Dyck.
- Edward may be a relative of Modesty Rabnott.
- Mr. Rabnott may have died sometime prior to 1995, as many portraits hung at Hogwarts Castle depict deceased individuals.
- In the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Edward was voiced by David Coker.
The name "Edward" means "rich guard", derived from the Old English elements ead "rich, blessed" and weard "guard". Saint Edward the Confessor was the king of England shortly before the Norman conquest.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) - NDS version
Class 67 · Cuthbert Binns's office · Fourth Floor balcony · Fourth Floor Corridor · Fourth Floor hospital tower corridor · Hogwarts Library · Mirror of Erised storage room · Restricted Section · Study Area