Marcus Belby (c. 1979) was a Ravenclaw student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from 1990 to 1997 who was considered for membership in the Slug Club in 1996. His uncle, Damocles created the Wolfsbane Potion, a noteworthy act that awarded him the Order of Merlin. However, Marcus' father was not on good terms with the famous potioneer, and for this reason, Horace Slughorn ultimately passed Marcus over; when Slughorn handed out pie, Marcus was somehow missed due to this.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Despite being described in the book as thin and nervous-looking, he is portroyed in the film as gluttonous and impolite, speaking with his mouth full of ice-cream as he shovels it into his mouth at the meeting of the Slug Club.
- On the 24 May 2008, the actor playing Belby, Robert Knox, was stabbed to death by Karl Bishop outside the Metro bar next to the suburban rail station in Sidcup, London, while defending his younger brother. At the world première of the film he played in, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, all of his former fellow cast members wore white ribbons in memory of him.
- On 4 March, 2009. BBC reported that Karl Bishop had been convicted or found guilty of Knox's murder. The next day, Bishop has been given a life sentence for that conviction. Video of Rob's parents speaking after the conviction can be seen via this link.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)