|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The subject of this article is a real-life person, company, product, or creative work that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Compendium is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really exists), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
The PlayStation (abbreviated PSX, PSone, or PS1) is a fifth-generation video game console manufactured by Sony. Dudley Dursley threw his out the window in the summer of 1994, because his parents threatened to cut his allowance if he didn't stop sneaking unhealthy food while on a diet. As such, he was unable to play Mega-Mutilation Part Three, a game for this console.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The PlayStation was not commercially released until December 1994 in Japan and September 1995 in Europe. However, prototypes were made available to game developers before December 1994, some of which ended up being sold to private consumers. It is possible that Vernon and Petunia Dursley, as indulgent parents, purchased one of these prototypes for Dudley. Alternatively, the Harry Potter novels may take place in a universe in which the PlayStation was released earlier than in our own, or Harry, due to his lack of interest in Muggle technology, might have confused the PlayStation with a similar console.
- Harry Potter series author J. K. Rowling has stated "I can’t work PlayStations. I’m no good at these things."
- The PlayStation and its future incarnations, the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 have been amongst the many consoles that have hosted versions of the Harry Potter video game releases.
- In April 2013, Pottermore will be integrated into PlayStation Home, a feature available to members of the PlayStation Network, accessible through the PlayStation 3 console. The feature will introduce a new minigame called "Book Herding," as well as an expanded Duelling system and will also allow exist Pottermore users to link their accounts and collect new trading cards.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)