Tickles and weakens
- "Harry pointed his wand straight at Malfoy and shouted, 'Rictusempra!' A jet of silver light hit Malfoy in the stomach and he doubled up, wheezing....as Malfoy sank to his knees; Harry had hit him with a Tickling Charm, and he could barely move for laughing."
- —Harry Potter's use on Draco Malfoy in the Duelling Club.[src]
"Rictusempra" is derived from the Latin "rictus," meaning "The expanse of an open mouth" and Latin "semper," meaning "always."
Behind the scenesEdit
- This is the first incantation Harry Potter has done verbally and with a wand in a film. He used it on his duel against Draco Malfoy in the second film.
- In the film version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Malfoy is simply knocked backwards. The same occurs in the game version (also in Prisoner of Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix game versions), where it is treated as a minor offensive spell, rather than a tickle charm. The use of it in the film could be because as Harry was an inexperienced wizard at that point, he may not have been able to master the spell properly, thus causing a different effect. However, it could also be that Malfoy was not ticklish in the film. Also, in the film and video game(s), it is red or pink rather than silver.
- It can be bought at Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment in Diagon Alley in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4.
- Since this charm creates a sensation of being tickled and makes the victim collapse to the ground, this charm can be called a "minor torturing" curse.
- There is another similar spell, the Tickling Hex; it is unknown how they differ. It can presumed that the Tickling Hex would cause a less desirable effect.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and referencesEdit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.